Slip & Fall Accidents
Some people assume that slip & fall accidents are not serious and that victims are just sore for a few days. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Slip & fall accidents do cause severe – in some cases permanent – injuries, that affect a person’s life in many different ways. Being injured in a slip and fall accident causes you to suffer emotional and financial damages in addition to your physical injuries. When your injuries are caused by the negligent acts of another party, you are entitled to receive compensation from that party.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
While there are some locations that tend to create hazardous situations more frequently, slip & fall accidents can occur anywhere at any time. In most cases, people never consider that when they leave their homes they may be victims of an accident. They assume the places they are going will be safe for visitors and customers; however, that is not always the case. Some examples of common places where slips and falls occur include:
Grocery stores and retail stores – These types of locations tend to produce slip and fall cases due to spills on the floors or blocked walkways. Most surfaces in these stores become slick if you drop any type of liquid onto the floor. Walkways that are stacked with items or that have items spilling out into the path of a customer can quickly cause someone to trip and fall.
Construction sites – Construction sites are another place where many people are injured in slip and fall accidents. Machinery and uneven surfaces are a hazard to employees and visitors. Owners and contractors must take precautions to protect individuals while they are on the property.
Parking lots and sidewalks – If parking lots and sidewalks are not properly maintained by the owner, cracks and holes in the payment present a serious hazard for anyone walking across the surfaces. It is not uncommon for someone to trip and fall because of a poorly maintained walking surface.
A private residence – Homeowners also have a duty, just like commercial property owners, to provide a safe environment for their guests. If you fall because a homeowner failed to fix the stairs or did not fill in a hole in the yard, you may be entitled to damages.
Anywhere you visit – While we may see slip and fall cases occurring in some locations more often than others, a property owner has the responsibility to maintain a safe environment for visitors and customers. If you slip and fall while on another’s property, whether it is owned by a private individual, a company or a government agency, you may have the right to receive compensation for your injuries if the owner was negligent.
What Type of Injuries Occur in Slip and Fall Cases?
As in other personal injury cases, the injuries a person suffers in a slip and fall case are unique to that case. While one person may suffer minor bumps and scrapes, another person may suffer a broken bone or a severe head trauma. Common injuries we see in slip and fall cases include:
- Bumps, scrapes and bruises
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Severe head traumas
Regardless of the severity of your injuries, you may be entitled to receive compensation if the owner failed to provide a safe environment.
What Damages May I Be Entitled to in a Slip and Fall Case?
The damages you may be entitled to receive in a slip and fall case will depend on the circumstances of the accident and the severity of your injuries. In a slip and fall case, victims may be entitled to receive economic damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Damages for lost earning capacity
- Travel to and from doctor appointments
- Cost of hiring someone to perform household chores that the victim cannot perform due to the injuries
- Other out-of-pocket costs directly related to the injury
In addition to out-of-pocket damages, you may also be entitled to damages related to pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and punitive damages. In order to determine the damages you may be entitled to receive, you should consult a personal injury attorney with experience in slip and fall cases.
What Should I Do if I am Injured in a Slip & Fall Accident?
If you or a loved one is involved in a slip and fall case, there are several things that you should do in order to protect your rights.
- Get medical attention – Regardless of your injuries, you should seek medical attention. In some cases, injuries may not present themselves right away. It is important to be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible following a slip and fall accident.
- Take photographs of the accident scene – If possible, use your cell phone to take pictures of the accident scene as it appears at the time of the accident. If you are unable to take the pictures, ask someone to do it for you before the owner changes the scene by correcting the problem that caused you to fall.
- Ask for contact information – Ask witnesses to provide you with their names and contact information. You should also ask for the names and contact information of any store employees that came to your assistance as well as the owner of the property, if available.
- Keep your clothing and shoes – Preserve the clothing and shoes that you were wearing at the time of the accident by placing them in a bag and sealing it. Your attorney may need these as evidence in your case.
- Take photographs of your injuries – As soon as practical, take photographs of your injuries as close to the time of the accident as possible as well as document your recovery through photographs.
- Contact our office – Contact our office as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and your legal options regarding the accident. The quicker we can begin investigating your case and preserving the evidenced, the better chance we have to maximize the amount of recovery you receive from the negligent party.
Keep up with us